Wednesday, September 24, 2008

I stay live... literally.

Yesterday Cottbus was bustling with cars, mopeds, trollies, and buses. If you know anything about this relatively small town, you know that that is by no means the norm on even the busiest days. Supposedly, the German Chancellor was in the mall, so there were a lot of festivities. Obviously, Nick and I had no idea what was happening. 

We were riding our bikes back to our apartment when we had to brake at an intersection and wait for the light. I looked down at the cuff of my pant leg and became angry because my bike doesn't have a chain guard so my clothes stay getting dirty. (Of course Nick stays clean because his man-bike has a guard). Anyway, Nick pedaled across the street and I followed.

 Mistake. 

Evidently, he decided that it was now his turn to go and I (like an idiot) assumed the light had changed. Not only had the light not changed, but a trolly was coming towards me. I made a sharp U turn back on to the sidewalk with a huge cushion, but not before my tire momentarily got stuck in the grooved tracks in the pavement. Nick's man-bike also has suspension and man-tires so he just cruised nonchalantly to the other side. 

Self-preservation is about as live (or alive) as it gets.

PS- I definitely would have Hancock-ed that trolley.





No comments: